W: executable-stack

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sun Aug 3 01:17:20 CEST 2008

Andrea Musuruane wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I've got 2 packages where rpmlint gives a warning about the binary
> declaring the stack as executable. I've not yet imported them in CVS
> because of this problem. You can find SRPMS here:
>
> http://www.webalice.it/musuruan/RPMS/wips/gens-2.15.2-1.fc9.src.rpm
> http://dribble.org.uk/repo/9/SRPMS/e-uae-0.8.29-0.9.wip4.fc9.drb.src.rpm
>
> I'm not really able to solve this. Can someone help? Even proper
> documentation would be helpful.

The first step is to find out which object file in the executable / .so is
causing the executable stack problem.

For each .o file in the source dir after building, do:
eu-readelf -S foo.o

And then then output for each .o file must contain a .note.GNU-stack section,
if it doesn't then that .o file is the culprit of then flags part of the
.note.GNU-stack section contains a .o file then that .o file is (one of) the
culprit(s) too even though it has a .note.GNU-stack section. Most of the time
the problem .o files are files generated from asm code.

Once you've got a list of troublesome source files drop me a mail and I'll
explain the next step in fixing this.

Regards,

Hans