rpms/lastfm/F-9 lastfm.spec,1.1,1.2

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 18:53:40 CEST 2008

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 09:16:01 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:

> Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 07:43:31 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> >
> >> In the meantime, for any particular Fedora release, it's still a good
> >> idea to make a best effort to keep the vendor constant.  You can
> >> consider changing it for F-10+ if you like...
> >
> > Changing it breaks panel icons, for example, and creates orphans in
> > the GConf settings.
>
> Gconf stores the name of the .desktop file(s)?

Yes, for launchers on the panel the full path to the desktop file
is stored. Example of breakage for Emacs:

$ gconftool-2 -R /apps/panel/objects|grep loca|grep emacs
  launcher_location = /usr/share/applications/gnu-emacs.desktop
  launcher_location = /usr/share/applications/emacs.desktop

The first is the old .desktop file name. The upgrade renamed it, broke the
launcher. The old launcher object is still in the db, but invisible in the
panel. I guess it would return if I created a gnu-emacs.desktop file in
the same path.

$ gconftool-2 -R /apps/panel/objects/object_1
 toplevel_id = top_panel
 bonobo_iid =
 attached_toplevel_id =
 use_custom_icon = false
 action_type = lock
 tooltip =
 custom_icon =
 launcher_location = /usr/share/applications/gnu-emacs.desktop
 use_menu_path = false
 panel_right_stick = false
 object_type = launcher-object
 position = 247