audacity-nonfree, normalize: ? maintainership ?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 19:17:43 CEST 2008

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 19:31:47 +1000, David Timms wrote:

> Michael / All,
>
> With regard to audacity-nonfree and normalize, I don't wish to step on
> anyones toes. You are definitely welcome to assume primary ownership of
> both of them if that is your intent. I sure the person who has spent a
> lot of time understanding the software, tracking bugs, etc is going to
> have a much easier and more effective task to maintain them.
>
> Can you let me know ?

Well, Audacity is also in Fedora. It has been sort of upstream for the
Livna package. Except that the Livna package ships two releases in one pkg
to escape from stagnation. It's unclear how long that will be necessary.
Theoretically, the pkg could return to be slightly modified Fedora pkg.

More comaintainers (also testers!) for the Fedora pkg would be helpful. So
far we are two who usually try to agree on whether to upgrade to just
another beta release which [once again] bears the risk of breaking
features in many ways (such as would have been the case with the previous
two beta releases). If Fedora still offered only the more than two years
old stable 1.2.x release, that would be different from other popular
distributions. Users would not understand that. On the contrary, if recent
1.3.x-beta releases are offered, some of the Fedora users with real
interest in Audacity still go and build their own binaries instead of
testing the Fedora rpms.

And "normalize", it's a simple package. It could be passed on to
any beginner packager with a bit of interest in a review and the
software. Interest in old XMMS could be beneficial.