rpmfusion based spin

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Tue Aug 26 07:13:41 CEST 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been keep a tab on rpmfusion progress by reading the archives and
>  it seems the repository is getting reading for launch soon. Congrats on
> that.
>
> My primary interest here at the moment is creating a spin based on
> rpmfusion and Fedora which  Thorsten Leemhuis mentioned as desirable in
> one of his earlier mails to this list.
>
> So before I put in some effort, a few questions:
>
>  * Is this seen as a worthwhile effort by rpmfusion contributors?

Yes!

>  * My primary effort would be around a live cd based on the desktop live
> cd from Fedora but I would like to hear your thoughts on other variants
> as well.

No other idea.

>  * What should the package content be? Should both rpmfusion-free and
> rpmfusion-nonfree repository installed by default? What are the
> important packages you want to see included? Keep in mind that in the
> live cd atleast, we would have to drop some existing packages to
> accommodate new ones.

Only the free repo should be used IMHO. But we could have the non-free one
enabled I guess.

It should atleast have the gstreamer-* packages from rpmfusion added, as
gstreamer-plugins-bad drags in quite some deps, I guess that will need to be
split up a bit.

As well as all the *-freeworld packages for things which are standard in the
livecd, basicly I would like to see it enable playback of all multimedia
formats which we can support using packages from rpmfusion-free.

>  * What do you want to call the spin as? My idea was that the spin name
> should be different the repository name to avoid confusion and unique
> identify what we are talking about easily. Does freefusion sound good?

freefusion sounds good!

Thanks & Regards,

Hans