x264 and ffmpeg updates coming to rawhide

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Dec 4 21:36:30 CET 2008

On 04.12.2008 21:15, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Thursday, 04 December 2008 at 14:17, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 03 December 2008 at 19:06, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
>>> In the long-standing tradition of breaking stuff right after a new release,
>>> I'm going to update x264 and ffmpeg in the devel branch.
>>>
>>> x264 brings ABI and API changes (albeit minor). I haven't checked ffmpeg
>>> yet, but there's certainly an ABI version bump in libavcodec and probably
>>> some API changes as well.
>>>
>>> Right now x264 is blocked on some ppc compilation issue which I'm currently
>>> trying to fix with the help of one x264 developer. I'll keep you posted.
>> OK, x264 build succeeded. Could someone test it on ppc/ppc64?
> ffmpeg build coming soon, too. It brings libavcodec ABI version bump and some
> API changes.

Looking forward to all of that.

But are there any ideas/plans how to make the transition to all of that
new stuff as painlessly as possible for users and contributors?

just wondering: Shall I manually exclude those packages (and packages
that are build against it) from pushing until all the major things that
depend on x264 and ffmpeg got rebuild? E.g. gstreamer-ffmpeg,
xine-lib-extras-nonfree, mplayer and vlc?