Omega 10 Preview Release

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Dec 7 15:40:20 CET 2008

On 04.12.2008 14:49, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Omega is a Linux based operating system and a Fedora remix suitable for
> desktop and laptop users. It is a installable Live CD for regular PC
> (i686 architecture) systems.  It has all the features of Fedora 10 and a
> number of additional multimedia players and codecs.  You can play any
> multimedia (including MP3) or commercial DVD's out of the box.
>
> Kickstart file is at
> ftp://ftp.infradead.org/pub/spins/omega-10-desktop-livecd.ks

Some *minor* comments for you consideration (maybe they can be called
"nitpicks", but I tend to say it worth at least mentioning them once).

Quotes are from the .ks file, random order, some lines mentioned more
than once:

>> # rpmfusion packages
>> rpmfusion-free-release
>> rpmfusion-nonfree-release

It should work without those, as those two are marked as mandatory in
our comps.xml; if not it's a bug that should get fixed, to make things
"just work" for all other people that try similar things.

>> gstreamer-plugins-ugly
>> gstreamer-ffmpeg
>> gnome-mplayer

Those are marked as default in @gnome-desktop and hence hopefully should
get installed as well as soon as you enable the RPM Fusion repositories.

>> xine-lib-extras-nonfree

That one is marked as 'type="conditional" requires="xine-lib" in
comps.xml and hence also should get tracked in as soon as xine-lib gets
selected

>> gnome-mplayer
>> vlc
>> gxine

Okay, then we basically get all three major players. How about sticking
to the Fedora way and just choose one app instead of confusing the users
with multiple ones for the same task?

 > [...]
> Is this a fork?
>
> It is a fully compatible remix of Fedora with some add-on multimedia
> software from RPMFusion and Livna (DVD playback) software repositories.

Another even more minor detail: The project it called RPM Fusion (with
space). Only in areas where spaces confuse things (domain name, repo
files, ...) we write everything in lowercase and without space
(rpmfusion). Maybe its wrong in some places in the wiki; then we IMHO
should fix it to not confuse people with to many different name-variants.