libdvdcss,again

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Dec 13 13:25:39 CET 2008

On 13.12.2008 10:06, Andrea Musuruane wrote:
> 2008/12/13 Peter Lemenkov <lemenkov at gmail.com>:
>> The question is - who decided it. I wish to know whether rpmfusion is
>> a community-driven project or not.
>
> Please read these:
> http://rpmfusion.org/SteeringCommittee
> http://lists.rpmfusion.org/pipermail/rpmfusion-developers/2008-October/001604.html

The decision itself is a lot older already; see the quoted part in this
mail:
http://lists.fedoraunity.org/pipermail/repo-merge-discussion/2007-April/000096.html

/me wonders where the origianl mail is, but it likely doesn't matter

> I really hope this is the last time this is asked.

Fully agreed. This endless discussions make things worse and I fear some
people people that do and did a lot of work for RPM Fusion might leaving
if this discussion lever comes to an end. And I fear that discussions
like this could lead to the creation of new 3rd party repos that compete
with RPM Fusion. That afaics something most of us don't want.

If someone really want to do something good for Fedora I'd suggest this:
go and set up an additional repo (one that sits *on top* of RPM Fusion
again and doesn't compete with it, just like Livna does these days) up
somewhere (e.g. outside of the US and the EU) and not only put libdvdcss
in it, but also all the other things RPM Fusion cannnot distribute:
flash, java, adobe (there are likely more). That would solve not only
one problem that isn't one (as livna still distributes libdvdcss), but
will finally solve other problems as well (problems RPM Fusion can't
solve).