RFC: staging repo

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Dec 15 10:24:20 CET 2008

On 15.12.2008 10:11, Andrea Musuruane wrote:
> 2008/12/14 Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info>:
>> Should we open a "staging" repo in addition to the free and nonfree repos
>> which would hold unreviewed packages that could be improved in the staging
>> area in a wiki-like style and then easily transferred to the proper repos?
> [...]
>> Comments?
> I don't think it is a good idea.

You are free to do so. But do you have any other ideas how to get other
3rd party repos under the RPM Fusion hood to get rid of the repo mess
that confuses users and results in repo mixing problems? Merging
Driobble, Freshrpms and 99,5% or Livna was good, but IMHO way more is
needed.

> If an external (i.e. non RPM Fusion)
> package maintainer hasn't the time or the will to submit packages for
> review, I don't think he will have time or will to use our
> infrastructure.

Some, but not all of those repos are from existing Fedora or RPM Fusion
maintainers.

> And if this is not true and they will use our
> infrastructure, they are just one little step away to be part of RPM
> Fusion (i.e. they only have to submit a package for review).

Which is the goal and I want to help them to get on the way.

> I can be wrong, of course. But the only way to check this is to ask
> external package maintainer what they think.

I didn't want to before we discussed the idea basically here.