VMWare open-vm-tools adoption

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Jan 2 04:33:41 CET 2008

On Tuesday 01 January 2008 09:22:51 pm Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 09:03:30PM -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> > > I would guess they are destined for the centosplus repository (contains
> > > things like rebuilt kernels with added features, etc).  They also are
> > > preparing a kernel-vm kernel using 100Hz interrupts vs 1000.
> >
> > The latest RHEL4 and RHEL5 kernels have a tick divider kernel parameter
> > you can pass in to essentially get a 100Hz kernel... Hrm, maybe that
> > isn't slated to be out 'til 5.2 and 4.7 though...
>
> And it would seem there are some issues with it -- as least as far as
> VMware is concerned:
>
>   http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2189
>
> (At least per that discussion -- see towards the end)
>
> Sounds promising though once they get it right.

Ah, hrm, didn't know that. I know the initial version in -53 had some issues,
which were supposed to be remedied in -58, but I know the focus w/that patch
set has been fully virt xen guests, not vmware. The person who's been working
on it lately happens to sit right across the aisle from me in the office,
I'll ask him if he's aware of the issues on vmware... :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com