Omega - Sudo for first user?

Orcan Ogetbil orcanbahri at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 1 19:22:53 CEST 2008

--- On Wed, 10/1/08, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Omega - Sudo for first user?
> To: "RPM Fusion developers discussion list" <rpmfusion-developers at lists.rpmfusion.org>
> Date: Wednesday, October 1, 2008, 12:28 PM
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > On 01.10.2008 16:43, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >>
> >> If I stuck this portion into the fedora-live
> initscript, it would
> >> enable sudo for the first user entered during
> firstboot. Does this
> >> seem like a sensible thing to do? Does anyone have
> the details handy
> >> on modifying consolehelper as well?
> >
> > The official RPM Fusion spin should IMHO be a Fedora +
> add-on packages
> > and nothing else.
> >

> > Yes, we could do fancy things like enabling sudo by
> default and
> > hundred other things where Fedora sucks. But
> that's somethings that is
> > IMHO just as bad as replacing packages from Fedora
> (which we don't do)
> I kind of see your point but I think there is room for
> minor
> improvements such as these. There is a difference between
> replacing
> packages and doing these simple configuration changes.
> Replacement
> packages (often) break your upgrade experience.  I would
> like to do a
> compose with sudo enabled like this and get feedback from
> more users.
> It might help/push Fedora to do it as well soon.
>
> Rahul

I agree with knurd on this. Think about end-users. Fedora forums are the first places they go when they have problems/want to ask questions.

My experience about repo queries in Fedora forums tells me whenever someone posts a problem it takes some message traffic until that someone explains his repo config and then people have to dig into his config files to extract the repo-specific-problem. To avoid this, I think, we should keep the Fedora-compliance as the first rule. Livna had a very good reputation by obeying this rule.

Again as knurd said, not changing the original Fedora setup will keep the "backward" compatibility of "Omega" documentation/howto's sane with Fedora. e.g. I'm almost sure that this will save a lot of message traffic in the forums/blogs.

As someone who just made his leap from the end-user side to the devel side I think we should care about such things.

oget

P.S: I like this "Omega" idea by the way.