nVidia drivers: series introduction, upgrade, deletion.

Stewart Adam maillist at diffingo.com
Sat Oct 11 15:45:31 CEST 2008

+1 for all of what you mentioned. We should definitely plan the "official"
channel of communication for users, maybe a News page on the Wiki?

I don't think it's possible [1] to have a 100% smooth upgrade path for
users,
but this way is the best way to minimize it as much as possible. One thing
for the sake of consistency though, I think we should rename
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-latest to xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-177 and make
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-latest a metapackage which requires 177.

[1] I have no idea if this would work or not, but what if
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-latest
was a metapackage with the date as the current version. It would require
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-173. Now, 177 comes out so we make
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-173
obsolete the xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-latest package, but only at that given
version/date.
We bump the version (change the date) of xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-latest and
then that
new package requires 177. I think this would work, but it depends if Yum
would
want to install the xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-latest update before processing
that the new
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-173 package obsoletes the installed one.

Stewart