Import plans for freshrpms packages; please review!

KH KH kwizart at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 12:23:10 CEST 2008

2008/10/17 Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl>:
> Matthias Saou wrote:
>>> rar
>>> -> import
>>
>> Beware, this is a proprietary shareware.
>>

> Since we already have unrar which is almost free software (weird license)
> and which does the most important thing: unpacking rar files, I'm not in
> favor of importing this just for the sake of having it, so unless someone
> really wants to I think we should drop this. Having this only serves to
> promote creating rar files, which is not something we want to do IMHO. I
> know this is rpmfusion ont Fedora, still there is nothing wrong with
> promoting openness here :)
I totally agree with what is written above.

That been said, dvdrip has it as an optionnal runtime dependency.
This will allow to deal with compressed vobsub subtitles.

There is a nice dependency checker within dvdrip, so I will not add a
"hard" requires on rar.
(I could even think dvdrip could be in fedora might be better if xine
could be in it).

It could be better to have it within the rpmfusion_nonfree but it
could be also downloaded from the related website.
(despite not been packaged).