Import plans for freshrpms packages; please review!

Orcan Ogetbil orcanbahri at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 17 12:39:47 CEST 2008

> From: Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl>
> Subject: Re: Import plans for freshrpms packages; please review!
> To: orcanbahri at yahoo.com, "RPM Fusion developers discussion list" <rpmfusion-developers at lists.rpmfusion.org>
> Date: Friday, October 17, 2008, 6:02 AM
> >
> >> From: Matthias Saou
> >> Subject: Re: Import plans for freshrpms packages;
> >> To: "Thorsten Leemhuis"
> >> Cc: "RPM Fusion developers discussion
> list" <rpmfusion-developers at lists.rpmfusion.org>
> >> Date: Friday, October 17, 2008, 5:04 AM
> >> Hi everyone,
> >
> > -cut-

> >> Hmmm, gtk1 xmms should die. This is only
> encouraging it to
> >> stick
> >> around ;-)
> >>

> > I disagree with you at an utmost level. I still think
> that it is one of the top audio players, if not the best
> one. If no one wants to maintain it I will take these
> plugins over without hesitation.
> >

> Have you tried audacious ?
>
> Audacious is xmms, with the UI ported to gtk2 and a still
> alive upstream which
> adds new features like support for various audio formats
> including wma and aac
> on a regular basis.
>
> Your time would be much better spend on fixing any features
> you miss in
> audacious then on keeping xmms on live support. AFAIK the
> only thing missing
> are some plugins which have not yet been ported to
> audacious, most have been
> and porting them isn't that hard, the API is mostly
> unchanged.

Who said xmms is dead? They made a release last year and also we had a very recent update in Fedora that is from their cvs.

I know audacious. I have used it for a while. While the API is mostly unchanged it is not totally unchanged. I even supported them in my superkaramba theme (soundmania) until they made those little changes in their API that rendered xmmsctrl useless.

I am sure they had updates and by now they are probably dbus-friendly but over the years I became a man of tradition. Xmms does whatever I want whenever I want with 0 problems. Why should I abandon it? It is like my radio left to me by grandfather that is still fully functional.

I also shouldn't forget to mention that I know people around me who still use it. My personal opinion is it is better to spend time supporting/developing other great audio players (such as amarok) than in xmms clones.

> Regards,
>
> Hans

Cheers,
-oget