New contributor - hello, and looking for sponsorship!

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Oct 25 15:55:34 CEST 2008

On 25.10.2008 15:21, Chris Nolan wrote:

> Looking at packaging the RPM: the main thing that sticks out is that
> there are two different source tarballs for 32 and 64 bit systems.

Joy and fun with proprietary vendor drivers :-/

> The
> only difference between the two tarballs is the hybrid binary driver
> itself - the rest of the source is the same. What would be the
> recommended way to proceed with this type of scenario?

Good question. I'm unsure myself.

> I was wondering whether to include both binary files (they would need
> renaming to distinguish which is which) within a new single tarball and
> then use a patch for the Makefile to ensure it uses the correct binary
> driver.

Things like that makes it really hard for others to modify or update the
package later -- every time I run into hacks like this while updating a
package I'd like to cry. Hence I'd say: lat way lie dragons, don't go
into that direction.

> This seems a bit "hacky" so I wondered if anyone could think of
> a more elegant solution?

I'd download both tarballs and give them a x86-32 and x86-64 suffix.
Then I'd include them as Source0 and Source1; in the spec use some
ifarch trickery around the setup macro to extract the right one. Also
not really nice (and it makes the SRPM a bit bigger), but it's a lot
more clean afaics.

But there are likely a few other more clean ways to solve the problem;
maybe someone else on this list comes up with a better idea?