New contributor - hello, and looking for sponsorship!

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Oct 26 11:14:31 CET 2008

Hi!

On 24.10.2008 21:38, Mario Chacon wrote:
> Hello, sorry to bothers you in this email but I really want to be a
> package maintainer at rpmfusion/livna. My experience for package
> maintainer it's NULL, :D, but I know c++ and I have a lot of fun
> building the latest packages of many programs.

First of all welcome to the rpmfusion community / project!

> Please anyone can help me to be a package maintainer??

Sure, we can and will help, but most of us are quite busy and I'm not
sure what you exactly expect from us.

Afaics most contributors became package maintainers by simply "doing it"
-- e.g. reading some articles/guides/howtos/books on RPM packaging (¹)
and then start to package something. When they were ready they put the
package up for review and that's the point where you get help, as the
reviewer will tell you want needs to be improved (hence you learn from
the reviewers experience).

(¹) You can find alot of help and how things work in the Fedoraproject
wiki; especially here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines

RPM Fusion round about works just like Fedora and follows the Fedora
packaging guidelines with some very small exceptions (e.g. Licensing)

> I propose to be  package maintainer of VirtualBox. It's possible to make it?

That's likely not a good choice as it's likely complicate to package
(especially as it involved kernel-modules). Also note that there are
VirtualBox packages for Fedora floating around on the net; one of them
are iirc from Xavier Lamien (CCed; he is a RPM Fusion contributer
already), who wanted to put them up for review. Maybe you can help him
with it (especially with testing and getting the packages in shape to
make them "just work) and in parallel you might want to look around for
other software to package for Fedora and/or RPM Fusion.