ATI driver in rawhide does not work with Fedora 10 Rawhide

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Oct 30 06:48:09 CET 2008

On 30.10.2008 01:23, David Hláčik wrote:
> i just want to inform you, that fglrx driver from nonfree rawhide repo
> does not work with latest rawhide of Fedora 10.

Please report problems like this via bugzilla (
http://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org ), as that will make sure the right person
(the package maintainer) gets the report. On the list otoh reports get
missed easily; and for most list subscribers it's irrelevant and just
annoying noise.

Nevertheless:

 > [...]
> (II) fglrx(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
>     "Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 8/8
> (EE) fglrx(0): Given depth (8) is not supported by fglrx driver

This to me (I'm not very familiar with the drivers, so I might be wrong)
looks like a configuration issue; seems a color depth of 8 is hardcoded
(or automatically selected) in the xorg.conf. Nevertheless you should
the root case of this problem should be fixed before others run into
similar issues.