When to move updates from testing to stable

KH KH kwizart at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 11:48:16 CET 2008

2008/10/30 Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl>:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>
>> On 30.10.2008 10:12, KH KH wrote:
>>>
>>> But what is needed actually is a way to "also" propose an update to
>>> 0.9.x. Can I handle that with the rpmfusion-free-updates-testing
>>> repository? It will lead to have two parallels cvs (F-8 F-8.testing
>>> like it was with livna), because it should remains possible to update
>>> the two versions.
>>
>> The F-8 and F-8.testing stuff in livna was a major PITA to maintain for me
>> (as the one that was the interface to the buildsys and the one that had to
>> keep the repo in shape) in Livna -- especially for kmods, as maintainers
>> more then once did crazy things which lead to real problems when kmods
>> needed to get built for new Fedora kernels.
>>
>> It also doesn't work with current CVS/plague design and is afaics not that
>> easy to set up (the trick I used in Livna is not possible in CVS afaics). So
>> I strongly vote for not even think about things like a F-8.testing branch in
>> CVS. Fedora works fine without it as well, so I see no real reason why we
>> should need it.

I don't mind the technical behind this., was about the behaviour.
If i cannot get that behaviour with having two parallels branches,
then that's easy, there will be no vlc-0.9.x updates for F-8
That's not that important in that case but others case are.

btw we have new beta legacies drivers (71xx 96xx), the fun is that
suches parallele cvs repositories are needed for testing version from
the same series. (along with building kmod for the stable version).

Now, no matters is that live in a different cvs, with a different mock
config and a different repository.
For now i will handle that in my personal one (kwizart-testing), but
again, it rpmfusion will miss to handle that cases.

> +1

I don't understand what have been voted here ?