ffmpeg in devel: to bump or not to bump

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sun Sep 14 14:19:37 CEST 2008

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> Hi.
> Apparently I haven't been communicating my intentions widely enough, so
> I'll try starting a thread here for a change. ;)
>
> Anyway, I'm sorry to bother packagers of ffmpeg-dependent software,
> but I'd like to upgrade to a post-20080908 snapshot in a few weeks.
> ffmpeg SVN r15262 introduced a bump to major libavcodec version, so
> all dependent packages will need a rebuild. The last time this has
> happened was in r4726, over 2 and a half years ago. There are some
> API changes going on right now so I'm not going to do it just yet.
> This is only the first heads-up.
>
> If you think I shouldn't do that, speak up now. ;)

Hmm,

I think it would be good to atleast make the jump in development, assuming the
APi changes are minor and either don't impact using software at all or can
easily be fixed. Then once we've done this in development (which we need todo
some time before F-10 launch to allow for testing, iow now) we can evalutate
this and maybe do the same for F-9 and F-8.

Regards,

Hans