ffmpeg in devel: to bump or not to bump

KH KH kwizart at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 01:08:42 CEST 2008

2008/9/14 Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at greysector.net>:
> Hi.
> Apparently I haven't been communicating my intentions widely enough, so
> I'll try starting a thread here for a change. ;)
>
> Anyway, I'm sorry to bother packagers of ffmpeg-dependent software,
> but I'd like to upgrade to a post-20080908 snapshot in a few weeks.
> ffmpeg SVN r15262 introduced a bump to major libavcodec version, so
> all dependent packages will need a rebuild. The last time this has
> happened was in r4726, over 2 and a half years ago. There are some
> API changes going on right now so I'm not going to do it just yet.
> This is only the first heads-up.
>
> If you think I shouldn't do that, speak up now. ;)
I saw the some move on vlc-devel ml. But I haven't tested it yet.
So far, i can only handle this on Rawhide as i consider the ffmpeg and
other ABI frozen for F8/F9.
I would prefer to see scale enhancement in terms number of packages
maintained (most would comes from freshrpms )

I really think this kind of update (API breaks) should be handle with
a --with rpmfusiondev option, so it can be parallelele installable
with the official ffmpeg we ship for a given release.(The same way
i've handled ffmpeg-compat). This way we could test for next version
improvements, usability, QA, etc.