[Fwd: Re: Legality questions.... (<repositoryWhichShallNotBeNamed> & nVidia)]

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Sep 20 18:40:57 CEST 2008

CCing rpmfusion-developers, where more contributors watch

On 20.09.2008 08:14, Matěj Cepl wrote:
> let me continue the below discussion from the internal Red Hat list here.
>
> Did anybody think about the issue mentioned below? Meaning that if
> there is only domain rpmfusion.org, employees of Red Hat may be as
> barred from talking about it from fear of possible contributory
> infringment as they are now forbidden to talk about
> <repositoryWhichShallNotBeNamed>.

The plan was/still is to not offer the repos as
download1.rpmfusion.org/{non,}free/ but also offer them as
{non,}free.rpmfusion.org with a small Frontpage for each of them that
mentions the most important things and points people to rpmfusion.org
for more informations.

But I don't consider this domain name split one of the most important
things, that's why I haven't worked on this.

Anyway: Do you think that's split with subdomains is "good enough"?

> I am not a lawyer anymore and I am not 100% sure about the legal
> implications of having separate domain names (and no I haven't asked RH
> legal), but did anybody think whether the current development of
> rpmfusion means, that I still won't be able to talk about nvidia
> binary-only drivers (for example)? (and I am from xorg team in RH, so I
> hate nvidia drivers as a matter of principle, but it is obvious that
> some of our users when they have to pick between non-functional nv
> driver and binary-only nvidia, pick the latter one).

Just a crazy idea: If mentioning RPM Fusion really is or becomes a
problem why not create a completely new project somewhere with a totally
separate domain name that does nothing else then providing the fglrx and
nvidia driver packages from RPM Fusion in their repos? It should not be
much more work then programming and maintaining a small script that
mirrors just those drivers and created new repodata for each dir they
are found in.

Cu
knurd