PackageKit-gstreamer-plugin replacing codeina

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Sep 30 06:59:26 CEST 2008

On 29.09.2008 20:25, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Replying to a mail on fedora-devel-list@
>>> I'd rather it didn't appear at all. People can swap out the helpers if
>>> they want.
>> I didn't follow that gstreamer/codeina stuff to closely, but I suppose
>> above was a hint for us. Which brings me to the point of this mail: did
>> anybody track that stuff closely? What are we supposed to do to make
>> life as simple as possible for our users (e.g. "to make it just work")
> Nothing, AFAIK their is new rpm magick which will generate magic provides for
> gstreamer-plugin providing packages and then package kit does the rest.
 >
> All the end user needs todo is install rpmfusion-free-release and then the
> packagekit gstreamer helper will point the user to install whatever
> gstreamer-foo rpmfusion provides and the user needs at that moment.

Sounds good, thx for letting me/us know.

> What we need todo is a get a link in the process somewhere to a
> fedoraproject.org webpage which in turn links to free.rpmfusion.org, with the
> latter telling the user how to install rpmfusion-free-release.
>
> Maybe the fedora page can even tell them that much, I dunno. I do know that a
> setup like this has been approved by RH-legal.
 >
> So we need to start lobbying and make it clear that:
> 1) rpmfusion is ready for testing use *now* with the exception of kmods, which
>     will be fixed over the next week

Well, I don't think it's really wise to open a testing phase without
having a porper place to report bugs. But we could say "please report
them on the lists for now" or "do this and that and then somebody will
reassign the bug to the proper owner."

> 2) we want the promised link to help unexperienced users find us

/me focuses on the kmods for now