madwifi (Was: rpmfusion:kernel modules decision: kmod)

KH KH kwizart at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 23:07:04 CEST 2008

Hello.

Rebuild of madwifi has been tested for kernel 2.6.27
Here are the package to import in the rawhide branch for >>rpmfusion_nonfree<<

Actually there is a choice between the "trunk" or the new
"hal-0.10.5.6" branches but this last will be merged in the trunk
sooner or later.
(not done yet). I would import hal-0.10.5.6, but we can move back to
the other later (that's only a release bump since we stay at post
0.9.4).

madwifi-trunk
http://rpms.kwizart.net/fedora/rawhide/SRPMS/madwifi-kmod-0.9.4-50.r3867_20080924.fc10.src.rpm
http://rpms.kwizart.net/fedora/rawhide/SRPMS/madwifi-0.9.4-50.r3867_20080924.fc10.src.rpm

madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6
http://rpms.kwizart.net/fedora/rawhide/SRPMS/madwifi-kmod-0.9.4-60.r3861_20080903.fc10.src.rpm
http://rpms.kwizart.net/fedora/rawhide/SRPMS/madwifi-0.9.4-60.r3861_20080903.fc10.src.rpm

madwifi-kmod buildforkernels is set as akmod
I will take care of the F-8/F-9 version once branches will be created.

2008/9/30 Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info>:
> Well, before dropping I'd really like to not only know if all the hardware
> is supported (there might be other hardware that is not yet supported by
> ath5k and ath9k as of 2.6.27 -- nobody from us checked that yet afaics), but
> also if ath5k and ath9k can do more than just the basics. I for example was
> told that monitor mode doesn't work yet with ath9k; more than just a handful
> of people might want to use that. Same with support for master mode (but the
> number of people doing that is likely a lot smaller).
All theses point are true, Thx thorsten for raising those points on the list.
Let's follow.

There is no need to drop madwifi until it can be built for Fedora kernels.
But madwifi is aimed to be replaced by ath5k. and most users will
install madwifi no matter if their hardware is supported by ath5k.
It will be easier for a linux beginner to stay on ath5k if the
hardware is supported than to use kmod-madwifi when 2.6.28 kernels
will be out for F-10 (and will break madwifi again.)

So i just want to evaluate the needs here.

And specially if we can have testers for hostapd that will probably
need to be in rpmfusion instead of Fedora for now.
(as it needs to BR madwifi-devel.)

Nicolas (kwizart)