Return of the King? (OSSv4)

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 10:53:54 CEST 2009

2009/4/20 Orcan Ogetbil <oget.fedora at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 3:29 AM, Andrea Musuruane wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 5:56 AM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>>> I don't remember reading a discussion about this. Is there anyone who
>>> made some research about OSSv4? I saw some good reviews and some folks
>>> in fedoraforum are asking about it.
>>>
>>> Can it be considered for RPMFusion? Practically, it replaces ALSA, or
>>> maybe it can be thought as an alternative.
>>
>> What's the problem of getting it in Fedora?
>>
>> Bye,
>>
>> Andrea.
>>

> OSS has hardware drivers. It comes with bunch of kernel modules.
That would mean backport of already present oss kernel modules or are
theses OSS kernel modules was removed previously and only the compat
layer was available ?

What is the "userland" needs for that ?
In my case (vlc), Iv'e disabled the oss support (along with v4l1) by F-11

I'm not against to have some experiments done externally from rpmfusion
(read: I would allow it a "tobedefined" rpmfusion-experimental), but
not if this mean recompilation of userland applications.