Custom patched kernels in RPMFusion

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Jan 9 10:22:30 CET 2009

Felix Kaechele wrote:
> I already shared my idea of providing custom patched kernels in
> RPMFusion with Thorsten and he said that it would be an interesting
> thing to do. But I also, of course, want to know the opinion of the
> other contributors as this is a decision that should be made by not only
> a few people.

Strong -1, one kernel is more then enough. If you've got good reasons to want
extra patches in to the kernel you should take it up with Dave Jones (the
Fedora kernel maintainer), as long as there is a good chance of them getting
upstream eventually, he usually is quite willing to carry patches as long as
someone else does the work.

If they are not going upstream, it would be better to spend energy there
(getting it upstream) then building custom kernels IMHO.

The only exception I can see is having a kernel with the realtime patch set.
And maybe there are one or two more invasive patchsets which would be
interesting to have as alternate kernel, but in general for smaller patches I
say no!

Regards,

Hans