Finally want to leave "infrastructure work" to others from now on

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Jul 7 20:19:05 CEST 2009

Hi!

Subject basically says it already: I from now on plan to mostly leave
all the hard, sometimes painful and often unnoticed and underestimated
work in the infrastructure area (e.g. setting up and maintaining build
master, build slaves, CVS and other machines) up to others from now on.

I basically announced that intention over a year ago (iirc) already, so
it hopefully shouldn't be that much of a surprise to most people on this
list. And I'll of course stay around and help out with infra work if
strictly needed. But I'll try to keep my head down as much as possible
(¹) -- even if that now and then might mean it takes a little bit longer
until things get fixed (but otherwise I'll never get rid of that work).

Some of the reasons for this step:

- I want to have more time to do other things in Fedora-land/RPM Fusion
- I would like to see a real "RPM Fusion Infrastructure group" formed
that is working as good as "Fedora infrastructure"; I feel like I'm
partly a problem on the way to that
- I often did/had to do infra work in a hurry in the past and sometimes
did it not as good as it should have been done; especially when it came
to documenting things (sorry for that)
- I want to have a little bit more free time for myself/for real life
- there are liekly way more reasons, but my mind doesn't come up with
them right now

So IOW: you main contact for things in the infrastructure area from now
on is Xavier. He mentioned to me in private that he plans to send a mail
about future work plans in the infra area to this list soon. Hopefully
he and others can form a team that is as efficient and properly working
as "Fedora infrastructure" is in Fedora.

Note that I'll continue to do rel-eng work -- e.g. getting stuff into
the build root when needed and pushing packages regularly. But I hope to
find someone that help with that sooner or later as well in the process
to make myself obsolete ;-)

(¹) I'll of course continue to take care of the ppc builder for the
short term future, as I'm the only one that has access to it. But the
owner of that machine indicated that he'd prefer to move the
plague-builder to a different machine anyway. I guess that process will
make me unnecessary there soon as well.