Finally want to leave "infrastructure work" to others from now on

Xavier Bachelot xavier at bachelot.org
Thu Jul 9 14:00:38 CEST 2009

> Hi!
>
> Subject basically says it already: I from now on plan to mostly leave
> all the hard, sometimes painful and often unnoticed and underestimated
> work in the infrastructure area (e.g. setting up and maintaining build
> master, build slaves, CVS and other machines) up to others from now on.
>
> I basically announced that intention over a year ago (iirc) already, so
> it hopefully shouldn't be that much of a surprise to most people on this
> list. And I'll of course stay around and help out with infra work if
> strictly needed. But I'll try to keep my head down as much as possible
> (¹) -- even if that now and then might mean it takes a little bit longer
> until things get fixed (but otherwise I'll never get rid of that work).
>
> Some of the reasons for this step:
>
> - I want to have more time to do other things in Fedora-land/RPM Fusion
> - I would like to see a real "RPM Fusion Infrastructure group" formed
> that is working as good as "Fedora infrastructure"; I feel like I'm
> partly a problem on the way to that
> - I often did/had to do infra work in a hurry in the past and sometimes
> did it not as good as it should have been done; especially when it came
> to documenting things (sorry for that)
> - I want to have a little bit more free time for myself/for real life
> - there are liekly way more reasons, but my mind doesn't come up with
> them right now
>

> So IOW: you main contact for things in the infrastructure area from now
> on is Xavier. He mentioned to me in private that he plans to send a mail
> about future work plans in the infra area to this list soon. Hopefully
> he and others can form a team that is as efficient and properly working
> as "Fedora infrastructure" is in Fedora.
>
> Note that I'll continue to do rel-eng work -- e.g. getting stuff into
> the build root when needed and pushing packages regularly. But I hope to
> find someone that help with that sooner or later as well in the process
> to make myself obsolete ;-)
>
> CU
> knurd
>
> (¹) I'll of course continue to take care of the ppc builder for the
> short term future, as I'm the only one that has access to it. But the
> owner of that machine indicated that he'd prefer to move the
> plague-builder to a different machine anyway. I guess that process will
> make me unnecessary there soon as well.

Hi Knurd,

First, thanks a lot for all your past, current and futur work on
Fedora/EPEL/Livna/RPM Fusion, you really deserve them.

Then, can you be a little more specific on what are the tasks and thus the
skills involved in helping with both the RPM Fusion infrastructure work
and also on the RPM Fusion for EPEL sub project. As a long time RHL/Fedora
user and less longer time Fedora and EPEL contributor, and also as a
Fedora/RHEL/CentOS sysadmin, I'm interested in both of them and would
certainly like to help, but I don't want to commit to a bigger/harder task
I would be able to cope with. I guess the workload could certainly be
shared over a team rather than exhaust a few individuals anyway.

Regards,
Xavier (yet another one ;-))