NVRM: API mismatches after latest update

Peter Reed peterreed at gmx.com
Tue Jun 16 20:53:00 CEST 2009

> >> This seems to be experienced with various place. But doesn't seems a
> >> problem with the nvidia driver itself.
> >> (the driver works). For some reason the package that provides the
> >> kernel module hasn't been updated along with the driver, or stayed
> >> installed along...
> >>
> >> Are you using akmod-nvidia ?
> >>
> >> If you do:
> >> yum remove xorg-x11-drv-nvidia (better to rm  /etc/X11/xorg.conf then).
> >> Do you have a nvidia.ko or nvidia package that remains installed.
> >> lsmod |grep nouveau
> >> rpm -qa |grep nvidia
> >
> > Hello all,
> > I am receiving the same error as well.  It seems to happen not only with
> > the driver packaged by rpmfusion but also the package from nvidia.
> >  Driver 180.60 does not seem to have this problem however.   I am not
> > using the akmod-nvidia however I did try it and it does not seem to make
> > a difference I still receive the same error.
> > [preed at localhost ~]$ lsmod | grep nouveau
> > nouveau               470896  1
>
> This is written here http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia
> the 180.18.14-2 package already bundles the blacklist-nouveau.conf so
> you need to do as root:
> mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
>
> But this may be a separate problem as nouveau been loaded automatically.
>
> Nicolas (kwizart)
Yes, thanks I had read that page however the poster to the rpmfusion-users
said he had problems with that solution and had found the other solution.  His
problem was related to nouveau being loaded no matter what but as I said
following the procedures above seems to have fixed the problem I was having.  I
wonder if it is related to when the nvidia driver gets loaded since they have
changed when the module gets loaded. According to the change log:
"Moved kernel module loading earlier in the X driver's initialization, to
facilitate more graceful fallbacks if the kernel module cannot be loaded.
Removed the LoadKernelModule X configuration option."
Do not really know enough about it myself but thank you for the help.
Peter