mplayer & ffmpeg with VDPAU Support

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Mar 4 15:53:43 CET 2009

Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
> 2009/3/4 Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de>:
>> Nicolas Chauvet wrote:

>>> We do not replace package, we replace library using the system dynamic
>>> linker.
>> The result is essentially the same:
> I was trying to say it was not, and tried to say why, but it was snaped....
>> - Non deterministic system behavior
> Can you elaborate a little bit ?

Quite simple: Your *.so's suffer from different bugs than the version in
Fedora, your *.so's provide different features than the packages in
Fedora => Different application behavior, function-wise and bugs-wise.

Whether you only replace the libs or even the applications doesn't
matter much.

The only real difference is, when only replacing the *.so's you don't
have to care about consistency wrt. applications (installation paths,
number of applications etc.).

> Remember that wxsvg-freeworld have been rejected because the
> with_ffmpeg broke the ABI with ffmpeg_less version provided in fedora.
Do I understand correctly? RPMFusion has decided not provide the ffmpeg
enabled wxsvg?

What shall I think of this?

>> - Potential NEVR and file conflicts and "NEVR races".
> Possible.... Do you have cases studies ?
The kmods vs. akmod vs. kernel issues are such a case.

Ralf