mplayer & ffmpeg with VDPAU Support

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Mar 5 03:15:17 CET 2009

Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
> I'm not one to tell others what to think or not. I'm just saying that
> replacement library should be avoided most, indeed.
> But it shouldn't be necessary to move the whole Gnome Desktop
> Environment to rpmfusion to have it full featured once it settles on
> freetype-freeworld and etc.

Freetype is used by a lot more than just GNOME.

> If bugs are reported to the freetype component instead of
> freetype-freeworld, that's an education issue, and that's not related
> to any technical capabilities.

I have watchbugzilla on freetype, I'll notice if people incorrectly report
things against it and triage it. So far I haven't seen a single
freetype-freeworld bug filed against freetype.

> Now I'm kind of new to the specifics sub-pixel problem, Does the
> patches were merged in freetype/cario/ upstream actually ?

The freetype patches are upstream, but disabled by default (so there's one
small non-upstream patch which enables them in the build-time
configuration). The cairo patches are not upstream (AFAIK upstream rejected
them for patent reasons) and we don't have a cairo-freeworld yet.

> Will the package work along with the version in rawhide ?

There's a freetype-freeworld in Rawhide which should match the Rawhide
freetype. But normally API/ABI compatibility is not an issue with freetype
anyway.

        Kevin Kofler