mplayer & ffmpeg with VDPAU Support

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Mar 5 03:19:32 CET 2009

Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
> 2009/3/4 Felix Kaechele <felix at fetzig.org>:
>> Hello List!
>>
>> I'm sure that at least the maintainers of mplayer and ffmpeg have considered
>> adding this. I have adjusted the SPEC files locally on my machine to test
>> VDPAU. Now I wanted to know if it would be possible to include VDPAU support
>> in packages in RPMFusion?
>> One main issue I'd see is that VDPAU support would make the packages that
>> support it nonfree wether or not they are basically free, since they would
>> have a BuildRequirement on xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-devel.
>>
>> What are your opinions?
> Of course, if it was the case, then we couldn't redistribute anything
> compiled with vdpau.
> Actually, the library use the same mechanism as XvMC, with an open
> source library wrapper exposing the public API.
> Then that wrapper will open any vendor vdpau provider library, either
> it is open or closed source. In the current situation, the wrapper is
> provided as a binary form within the nvidia driver, but can be
> packaged from the opensource version also. (cannot remember the url)
>
> It could be possible to have the opensource version packaged in
> fedora. But given the problem it will give (API version missmatch,
> stability), I wouldn't recommand to do so at this time. Then, one
> should notice that dispite the vdpau API is open, there is no
> opensource implementation of it yet. (so it could be prevented in
> fedora, for that weird reason).

Hm. I guess I should probably pay attention here myself... VDPAU support
is one of the hot ticket items in the next version of MythTV that a good
sized portion of the userbase *is* going to want. To date, I haven't
even tried building packages w/the support enabled, but I'd not even
considered that it'd require build deps that aren't in the free repo.
I'd certainly like some way to do it though, without having to move
MythTV to the non-free repo.

--jarod