how to add a packages to rpmfusion: cairo, libXft, freetype

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Mar 5 03:32:21 CET 2009

> On Wednesday 04 March 2009, David Hláčik wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> long time ago I promised to create packages suitable for rpmfusion for
>> following :

As long as they're called the same as the Fedora packages, they're NOT
suitable for RPM Fusion. RPM Fusion does not replace Fedora packages. You
will have to use a solution such as freetype-freeworld. In other words,
we'd change freetype-freeworld and also have cairo-freeworld and
libXft-freeworld.

Now if you want to add these non-upstream patches to freetype-freeworld, you
will have to take over maintainership because I'm not willing to maintain
that stuff (but as I don't even use freetype-freeworld myself, I'd be more
than happy to hand it over to you if you want it).

And one question has still been left unanswered: Why are these patches not
upstream? I've been told there are patent concerns, but freetype already
includes patent-encumbered code and only disables it in the default build,
so that excuse doesn't sound valid as far as freetype is concerned. Plus,
are the cairo patches doing anything actually patented? If they just have
freetype do all the work, then I don't see why the cairo parts cannot be
upstreamed.

        Kevin Kofler