mplayer & ffmpeg with VDPAU Support

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Mar 7 15:14:31 CET 2009

On 04.03.2009 13:23, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Felix Kaechele wrote:
>>> Now I wanted to know if it would be possible to
>>> include VDPAU support in packages in RPMFusion?
>>> One main issue I'd see is that VDPAU support would make the packages
>>> that support it nonfree wether or not they are basically free, since
>>> they would have a BuildRequirement on xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-devel.
>> That's not possible, we need ffmpeg in RPM Fusion free (most of RPM Fusion
>> free depends on it!), it can't BR stuff from nonfree.
> ... but you could use non-free to replace packages from free ...
>
> It's essentially the same as to replace packages from Fedora with
> RPMFusion packages, only that it would be RPMFusion replacing itselves ;)

We normally don't do the latter for good reasons. But I'd say it's not
fully ideal, nevertheless an acceptable (and IMHO the best) compromise
if we allow packages from the RPM Fusion nonfree repo to replace
packages from the free repo, *as long* as the maintainers are the same
in both trees.

Or does anyone have a better idea? ld.so.conf-tricks and different
package names IMHO are to confusing for users.

Just my 2 cent of course.