Where we are and where do we what to go?

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 21:39:43 CET 2009

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> What do you mean?
> ftp://ftp.infradead.org/pub/spins/README.Omega-10-Release-Notes
> doesn#t contain the word "KDE" afaics. Or do you mean the "Do you plan
> on do other variants?" part?
Latter. It clearly informs everyone that they are free to do additional
variants and are welcome to do so.
> I thought you wanted to make it a kind of official RPM Fusion remix?
> Isn't that the point of the whole discussion? I assume you do. Then we
> IMHO need to review it, similar to how spins are reviewed in Fedora
> afaics:
I don't particularly care about officialness. It doesn't make any real
difference to me but if you want to host a remix, Omega serves that
purpose and more mirrors would be good for users using Omega. If we want
to introduce process, we need people to participate. Who is stepping up
to do the actual work of reviewing it?  Endless discussions about this
isn't leading to anything concrete here.  In the absence of people
helping out, what is the action plan?

> Not to mention legal aspects. The question
> """
> - what to put on the servers aka *legal considerations*: What does it
> require from RPM Fusion? Do we need to host the SRPMs from Fedora to
> make sure we comply to the GPL even if the Fedora server drop of the net
> tomorrow?
> """
> in
> http://lists.rpmfusion.org/pipermail/rpmfusion-developers/2009-March/004090.html
>
> wasn't answered yet afaics
Fedora servers (and mirrors) dropping off the net isn't a realistic
scenario but mirroring SRPM's for the binary content in the live cd(s)
would be a good idea nevertheless.  The FSF GPL FAQ answers the specific
legal requirements.

Rahul