BUG: kmod-nvidia-PAE bricks my notebook

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 16:33:26 CET 2009

2009/3/12 Rainer Koenig <Rainer.Koenig at fujitsu-siemens.com>:
> Hi there,

> The machine that is involved is our CELSIUS H270 mobile workstation.
> A spec of that Notebook can be found here:
> http://docs.fujitsu-siemens.com/dl.aspx?id=0d23742b-0900-4dc2-96cb-cfb46f8ab92a
>
> A customer reported display problems after installing
> kmod-nvidia-PAE-180.25-1.fc10.i686.rpm on his machine. He got the
> display repaired but after the next boot the problem occured again.
> This is why the problem arrived at my desk.
There is no reason to mix in the same sentence "installing
kmod-nvidia-PAE" and "he got the display repaired"
until more explanation are provided. At this step, theses two actions
aren't linked.
Most of our users already use repackaged nvidia/fglrx binary drivers.
And I never heard of hardware breakage except from hardware already
broken.

The last stable driver available from nvidia is 180.29 which claims to
support the said hardware (Quadro 770M)
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/180.29/README/appendix-a.html
Quadro FX 770M 	0x065C.
This is also this version of the driver that our users should use once
they install the driver.

> I took my own H270 notebook and installed Fedora 10 on it. Then I
> added the yum repos for rpmfusion and installed the latest
> kmod-nvidia-PAE.i686 on my machine. Next step was reboot, and all
> I saw was the progress bar on the bottom of the screen. In the moment
> the X server was supposed to start the screen went black.
Once you boot to the correct (lastest) kernel that have the nvidia
kernel module, this is the right procedure.
http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia
Indeed, a reboot is needed to prevent replacement of the mesa libGL
clash and other issues with conflicting kernel modules.
At this step (reboot), either the nvidia kernel module is loaded and
the driver is activated in /etc/X11/xorg.conf either it is not found
and the driver is automatically de-activated in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
(for example kmod-nvidia-PAE is installed but boot was on kernel
instead of kernel-PAE).

So first step. Can you attach the /etc/X11/xorg.conf to a
bugzilla.rpmfusion.org bug report.
Also /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old are important to
see what's happened.

> So my first question to you is if you can provide information on which
> "official" build from nVidia your RPMs are based.
You can get it with rpm -qi xorg-x11-drv-nvidia and be sure it will
fit with rpm -q kmod-nvidia\*