nvidia-config-display misbehavior

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 19:27:01 CET 2009

Since nvidia driver is currently not working well with my system, I wanted to
give nouveau another try.  I edited xorg.conf, changing from nvidia to
nouveau, then did nvidia-config-display disable.  Then telinit 3, telinit 5.
Surprise!  No X.

After investigating, I found that every time I run telinit, nvidia script will
_rewrite xorg.conf_!

Imagine my surprise. nvidia-config-display disable doesn't actually disable
nvidia.  The only reliable way to disable (temporarily) is rename the kernel
module.  (I don't want to yum remove nvidia stuff, last thing I need to is have
to have a working network connection to restore it)

Why would anyone want to type 'nvidia-config-display disable', only to have it
magically re-enable itself?