Introduction

Jack Neely jjneely at ncsu.edu
Tue Sep 1 20:55:05 CEST 2009

Greetings,

I'm Jack Neely and I'm the linux guy at NC State University.  (Where Red
Hat's corperate HQ is located.)  I maintain our RHEL-based
customizations, and other tools for managing a couple thousand Linux
machines around campus.  I helped design the original kmod version 1
standard and maintain a Yum plugin to do all sorts of evil with those
kmods.  I'm hoping RPMFusion will make my job easier and have a few
questions.

RPMFusion maintains all the kernel modules I'm interested in supporting
(and more) in RHEL 6 and our Fedora deployments (which really don't
exist yet).  I would contribute OpenAFS to complete the set.

I assume folks are interested in having OpneAFS, the nVidia drivers,
Open VM Tools, and other stuff maintained for EL6?  What will be the
relationship with EPEL in for EL6-land?

What about EL5?  Is there interest in using the older kmod v1 standard
to add kernel modules there?

Are the kmod builds automated or must jobs be submitted to rebuild those
for each kernel?  I plan on extending my yum module to know what to do
in this case for kmodv2 as well.

Thanks,
Jack

--