Experimental mplayer packages available: current code, VDPAU and VAAPI acceleration, multi-threading

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Wed Sep 23 02:09:36 CEST 2009

On Monday, 14 September 2009 at 19:24, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-09-13 at 18:13 +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > On Friday, 04 September 2009 at 09:49, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > > I thought this may be of interest to the list, so I'm sharing. :)
> >
> > Indeed it is, thanks.
> >
> > [...]
> > > Thanks to Dominik, Nicolas and their predecessors for the main mplayer
> > > spec, on which these builds are based. Please let me know if you're
> > > interested in this work, guys.
> >
> > I definitely am. If you post (or send to me) self-contained patches
> > against the current rawhide packages then I would look at them.
>
> I took a different strategy: rather than adjusting the patches to apply
> to the version of mplayer we currently have in rpmfusion, I adjusted the
> rpmfusion spec to build the version of mplayer which the libva patches
> and ffmpeg-mt are happy to work with, if you follow :) Since picking an
> mplayer version is a pretty arbitrary sport, and since this stuff is not
> likely to land until F13, and since we'll probably want to go with a
> later version of mplayer in F13, I don't feel particularly inclined to
> spend time porting the libva patches / ffmpeg-mt to play nice with an
> older version of mplayer, to be honest. It feels like it'd be wasted
> effort.

If you'd like to update MPlayer in the devel branch to current snapshot
and enable vdpau support, then by all means, go ahead. Feel free to fix
any trivial bugs from the bugzilla as well. I'm still quite short on time
these days, so any help is welcome.

[...]
> > > Once libva gets in, we could build with
> > > VAAPI support (though I suppose we might want to wait until upstream
> > > accepts the patch).
> >
> > If we weren't so close to beta then I would accept a patched MPlayer
> > package, hoping that the patch would go upstream before beta, but right
> > now I consider it F13 material.
>
> All things considered I agree. I'd suggest that, fairly early in the F13
> cycle, we bump to a then-current mplayer snapshot, with the libva
> patches included. Assuming I've got libva into the repository by then.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Regards,
R.

"Faith manages."