Handbrake possible new package

gatlin sullivan gatlinsullivan at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 30 01:33:21 CET 2010

Handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/) is a utility to process and encode video (and
audio). It is supported for the new version of Gnome. It actively develops for
the GNU/Linux platform. A semi-nightly rpm release is made
(https://build.handbrake.fr/). There is a spec file listed in its source code
(http://trac.handbrake.fr/browser/trunk/gtk/ghb.spec). All of the source can be
found on its web-site (http://trac.handbrake.fr/browser). Detailed build
instruction (though slightly outdated) can be found documenting building,
specifically on GNU/Linux, for Fedora and Ubuntu
(http://trac.handbrake.fr/browser/trunk/doc/BUILD-Linux). It is licensed as GNU
GPL version 2 (http://trac.handbrake.fr/browser/trunk/COPYING).

If I attempt to package this after its 9.5 release - which should be relatively
soon and imminent - will it meet the requirements of Rpmfusion. I do know that
since it depends on certain things that are unpackageable for Fedora's
repositories that it will not be acceptable there. I, with rpmfusion
repositories installed plus libdvdcss, am able to install the semi-nightly
builds and use them. Thus, I believe that all of the
license inappropriate dependencies for Fedora must have been met by Rpmfusion. I
believe that packaging this and putting into Rpmfusion would be a great addition
to Fedora. I believe that most Fedora desktop users use Rpmfusion, so this as an
addition to Rpmfusion will really expand the presence of Handbrake for Fedora
user's to acquaint themselves.