What's wrong with my builds

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Sep 14 16:32:06 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 9:48 AM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 08:16:35 -0400, Jarod wrote:
>
>> 2010/9/14 Göran Uddeborg:
>> > Jarod Wilson:
>> >
>> > I see.  Thanks for the explanation.  (I hope it wasn't my fault in any
>> > way.)
>>
>> Nope, issue was the plague server overloading the host with more
>> simultaneous jobs than it should have.
>
> Any idea how that has been possible?

Not exactly, no.

> Plague Builders don't accept more
> than the maximum number of build jobs they can handle.

How does the builder know what the maximum number of jobs it can handle is?

> The server cannot override that.

Well, it is/was. I set max_jobs to either 1 or 2 to no effect, it was
always "number of cpus" that got set as the max jobs value. So a
dual-core box with hyperthreading was being set up for 4 jobs at a
time. And four -j4 builds at the same time, is, um, well, bad.
Especially when two of the four "cpus" aren't full cores. So I've shut
off hyperthreading and throttled builds to -j1, and everything seems
stable again, but this certainly doesn't feel like a solution, just a
hack-around.

> Though, rpmfusion infrastructure probably still uses the
> unofficial/forked Plague version which differs from Fedora Extras era and
> beyond.

Dunno. The builder itself is now running plague 0.4.5.8-1 as found in
Fedora, rebuilt for el6.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com