What's wrong with my builds

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Sep 14 19:01:53 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 10:32:06 -0400, Jarod wrote:
>
>> > Plague Builders don't accept more
>> > than the maximum number of build jobs they can handle.
>>
>> How does the builder know what the maximum number of jobs it can handle is?
>
> See determine_max_jobs() in /usr/bin/plague-builder.
> It runs '/usr/bin/getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN' and defaults to '1',
> which explains your value of '4'.

Bleah. Not a default I like much. Gets worse and worse with more cpus
too. 4 cores plus hyperthreading -> 8 x -j8 jobs, so 64 threads on 4
cores. 16 on 2 is bad enough...

>> > The server cannot override that.
>>
>> Well, it is/was.
>
> No, the builder maintains its own number of max. jobs and free slots.
> It rejects further jobs if it's busy and if the server tries to start
> more jobs anyway.
> The server only keeps track of the current number of free slots of
> the builders for scheduling.
>
>> I set max_jobs to either 1 or 2 to no effect, it was
>> always "number of cpus" that got set as the max jobs value.
>
> Right. There is no configuration variable to change that. Seems
> everything else is there already (the "cfg" parameter to implement
> a configuration parameter to override the default max.jobs value).

Okay, so the problem is that I was trying to use an invalid config
option. Was there when I started poking at the config when the box was
being brought to its knees by the defaults, so I'd assumed it was
valid.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com