FreeCAD build, need cmake help

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 21:34:56 CET 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 2:12 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Richard Shaw wrote:
>> It turns out it's largely Python based and looks for the Mod directory
>> relative to the binary directory.
>
> That should probably be patched.
>
>> I talked to one of the developers and he said it would be better to go
>> ahead and put everything in /usr/lib{,64}/freecad and symlink the
>> binaries to /usr/bin. It makes my system install option pretty much
>> useless since you can set the install location by overriding
>> CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX, but I still have to setup the proper rpath's so
>> everything can find everything else...
>
> I'm not sure I like this solution… I think fixing the Python code to support
> systemwide installations properly would be a better solution than this hack.

Yeah, I'm not thrilled about it but I didn't get the sense that
upstream is willing to update their code for that. At least not yet,
I'll see if I can wear him down :)

> Though *I* won't be using that non-Free software (well, based on a non-Free
> library) anyway. ;-)

Yup, not thrilled about that either but there isn't really an
alternative that I know of for solid modeling. If you just need 2D
architecture type work then you can just use qcad.

Richard