Linking and licensing question

Jochen Schmitt Jochen at herr-schmitt.de
Tue Dec 27 21:10:08 CET 2011

Am 27.12.11 18:57, schrieb Richard Shaw:
> I now have OCE approved and built, which uses a non-free license[2].
> Both FreeCAD and SMESH[3] are GPL licensed individually but they also
> both link against OCE.

If you want to link a GPL'ed application agains a non-free library the
license of the application needs
an exception to do so. Because you told, that the original upstream has
linked FreeCAD agains this non-free
library, I assume, that upstream has declared such an exception.

So the license tag shoud be 'GPL with exception' and the package can go
to the free branch
of rpmfusion.

Best Regards:

Jochen Schmitt