Linking and licensing question

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 15:01:51 CET 2011

First of all, thanks for the replies, both of you!

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 4:25 AM, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/27/2011 09:10 PM, Jochen Schmitt wrote:
>>
>> Am 27.12.11 18:57, schrieb Richard Shaw:
>>>
>>> I now have OCE approved and built, which uses a non-free license[2].
>>> Both FreeCAD and SMESH[3] are GPL licensed individually but they also
>>> both link against OCE.
>>>

>> If you want to link a GPL'ed application agains a non-free library the
>> license of the application needs
>> an exception to do so. Because you told, that the original upstream has
>> linked FreeCAD agains this non-free
>> library, I assume, that upstream has declared such an exception.
>>

> Well they have done that at least implicitly I guess, it would be good
> to contact them and ask for an explicit exception.

There's an ongoing discussion/war on their forums about the
non-freeness of OCC/OCE. I'm trying to decide if I should put in my
$0.02 or just wait for the dust to settle.

>> So the license tag shoud be 'GPL with exception' and the package can go
>> to the free branch
>> of rpmfusion.
>

> That should be non-free branch, if a package depends on other non-free
> packages it must go to non-free itself.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it would go into non-free as well.

Richard