Orphaning Poulsbo packages

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 22:09:54 CET 2011

2011/3/18 Adam Williamson <adamwill at shaw.ca>:
> Hey, folks. I don't use my Poulsbo system any more, and got really tired
> of trying to keep the driver in shape...so I sold the system and I'm
> orphaning the packages. On a related note, how do I go about orphaning
> the packages? Is it the old Fedora process? I can't find a page in the
> Fusion wiki.
>
> Packages are:
>
> psb-kmod
> xorg-x11-drv-psb
> psb-firmware
> xpsb-glx
> libdrm-poulsbo
>
> If anyone wants 'em, be my damn guest.

For the record, it seems that intel (Imagination technologies behind)
has released an new driver named emgd.
I don't know if this driver will work for your hardware but it works
for the hardware I'm working on. (dayjob).

This driver is composed by a GPL kernel module and a proprietary
userspace libraries.
This driver is supported on F-11 and F14 i686 (probably not compatible for F-15)

The interesting thing is that it may work better with the current
version of libva so the question is to update the current stack to at
least libva-1.0.8 (or libva-1.0.10 and libva-freeworld-1.0.8 for the
i965 va backend if working).

So for the psb case, it would be fine to keep it for F-13 and
Obsoletes it for F-14 once emgd is reviewed,
The process to Obsoletes a package is described at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/PackageEndOfLife
which may requires an additional step for RPM Fusion (to remove the
package from the repo).