Fedora kmod nvidia howto

Jochen Schmitt Jochen at herr-schmitt.de
Tue Nov 8 21:43:37 CET 2011

Am 08.11.2011 21:31, schrieb Ankur Sinha:
> I've noticed that the steps around dracut usage have been removed from
> the Nvidia guide here[1]. Why is this? Are they not needed anymore?
> Quite a few folks have come into #fedora and have had their borked X
> fixed after running the dracut commands. Can these please be added back
> to the page for troubleshooting? If there are other commands required,
> can the page please be updated?

There is a conflict between noveau and die nvidia driver.

If the noveau kmod is loaded then you can't start the ninivid
driver. During runing of dracut a special module blocking file will
be interpreted. After runing dracut the kernel will not loading
the noveau driver from the initramfs, so you can start the nvidia
driver without any issues.

Additional the nvidia driver will added to the initramfs, so you
get a graphical boot screen.

Best Regards:

Jochen Schmitt