Fair Warning: akmods systemd unit file

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 15:08:01 CEST 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 4:18 AM, Nicolas Chauvet <kwizart at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/10/3 Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com>:
>> I've tested it about all I can on my own machine and I'm running out
>> of time to get it into devel/F16 if we want to keep within the
>> sysv->systemd policy.
>>
>> One quirk. Apparently the "oneshot" type only runs once per boot.
>> Period. Any attempt to run manually with:
>>
>> # systemctl start akmods.service
>>
>> just reports the previous success. If you really want it to run via
>> systemd, you have to use
>>
>> # systemctl restart akmods.service
>
> I really thinkg this need to be implemented that way for f16 for the time been.
> Specially has more complex packages will already have a dedicated unit
> file outside of akmod.

I think I understand you correctly. Basically, go forward with this
method. If a akmod driver package needs to run earlier they can
provide their own unit file?

> This need to be documented on the Akmod page on the rpmfusion wiki.

I can do that, however, even though I labeled the situation above a
"quirk", I don't think it's really a valid use case. If someone wants
to run akmods manually, they should run the binary directly and not
start it from systemctl.

Richard