ffmpeg in EL6?

Colin Simpson Colin.Simpson at iongeo.com
Fri Oct 7 19:44:44 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I guess all this might be the same answer to the request I posted for
vlc, mplayer and gnome codecs.

Though repoforge seem to be shipping a RHEL6 FFmpeg, so I wonder if they
built their own libvpx or are living with a version that is WebM less
one ? I haven't looked, as I don't want to mix my repos! I was hoping
epel plus rpmfusion was the way to go for RHEL these days (as we have
gone this way with our Fedora systems already) . Also I had previous bad
experiences with rpmforge replacing shipped stuff, something I don't
think they do any more....

Personally I'd prefer anything (even crippled) over nothing shipped on
RHEL6.

I suppose the clean way to handle this would be to build a new libvpx
and put it in a separate RPM name space. Like RHEL/Fedora do with things
like libpng e.g

libpng10-1.0.55-1.fc15.x86_64
libpng-1.2.46-1.fc15.i686

Thanks

Colin

On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 22:23 +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Tuesday, 04 October 2011 at 16:32, Karel Volný wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > just a question ... are we going to see ffmpeg also for RHEL6 in
> > a not-so-far future?
>
> Co-maintainers are welcome. :) For multimedia, Fedora is a priority
> for me,
> and I don't have too much free time.
>
> One issue with EL6 is the ancient version of libvpx (0.9.0).
> FFmpeg requires 0.9.1 for decoding and 0.9.6 for encoding.
> I'm told that reencoding to WebM is a common use-case for FFmpeg,
> so it'd pain me to release a crippled FFmpeg package.
>
> Having said that, I remember some serious bugs in libvpx-0.9.0,
> so patching FFmpeg to work with 0.9.0 might be counter-productive.
>
> I can't promise any deadlines, but I'll see what I can do about
> bringing FFmpeg to EL6 branch.
>
> Regards,
> Dominik
> --
> Fedora http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Rathann
> RPMFusion http://rpmfusion.org | MPlayer http://mplayerhq.hu
> "Faith manages."
>         -- Delenn to Lennier in Babylon 5:"Confessions and
> Lamentations"

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the original recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the original.