replacement builder needed

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Oct 21 20:00:26 CEST 2011

On Oct 21, 2011, at 11:54 AM, Till Maas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 03:17:21PM -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>
>> fact that the one and only active rpm fusion build system sits on that pipe. I'd
>> like to see another system (or systems) elsewhere brought up sooner than
>> later, so builds can be migrated to them, at which point, I can retire the box at
>> my house, and not drop the extra money every month for the pipe and the
>> power to keep the box running.
>
> what are the required minimum specs? I guess it needs to be a 64 Bit
> system.

Yeah, being 64-bit is a must, so it can build both x86_64 and ix86 packages. Any
cpu more powerful than an atom is probably serviceable. More cores is better,
but not absolutely required. Not sure how many really large and lengthy compiles
there are amongst the package set.

> But how much RAM and disk space is required?

Not sure what the minimum requirements are. I'd say at least 2GB of RAM
and 100GB of space for builds. Ideally, there's also a local fedora, epel,
rpmfusion and whatever else mirror, which is another 500GB+, depending on
how complete the mirror is. But if there's speedy access to relatively
nearby existing mirrors, that's probably fine too. There aren't all that
many packages to build most of the time.

> Who will need to have which kind of shell access?

The rpm fusion sysadmins, which presently amounts to Nicolas Chauvet and
Xavier Lamien, as far as I know, are the only ones who should need any
shell access. They will need to be able to adjust mock/plague/koji configs
and daemons, not sure if there's anything else.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com