replacement builder needed

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Oct 25 15:15:23 CEST 2011

On Oct 24, 2011, at 3:07 PM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

> On Sunday, 23 October 2011 at 20:02, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> Since no one has stepped up yet I have a proposal but I don't know how
>> easy it will be to accomplish.
>>
>> I'm willing to offer up my desktop machine with the following requirements:
>>
>> 1. At least 5 to 10 others in total do the same
>> 2. Building packages would be assigned to all machines in a round
>> robin approach.
>> 3. I can shut down the builds by window or manually. I do occasionally
>> use my machine for gaming.
>>
>> Another option in addition to the above would be to allow uploading of
>> packages from contributors machines to buildsys. I would suggest
>> making it possible from cvs/make where the packages would get built on
>> the local machine and then be uploaded.
>
> I can set up a builder on my home server, if necessary. However my uplink
> is only 512kbps at the moment and the server is a 64bit dual-core Atom,
> so not exactly a speed demon. :)

I tried running a similar atom box as a builder at one point. It was horrendous,
the thing kept choking on builds, took ages to complete anything, often got
itself completely hung due to excessive swapping, would oom-kill, etc. But if
you had tons of RAM in it (read: more than 4GB), it *might* be okay. I'd be
more inclined to roll with what Adrian is cooking up. :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com