Building kmod/akmod package spec file question

Nicolas Viéville nicolas.vieville at univ-valenciennes.fr
Fri Oct 28 15:31:37 CEST 2011

Hello list,

For my first participation in packaging, I'm trying to make a spec file
for the 5.100.82.38 wl-kmod package in F-15. While the review process I
had a question about building the akmod package and how to proceed.

After reading:

- http://rpmfusion.org/Packaging/KernelModules/Akmods
- http://rpmfusion.org/Packaging/KernelModules/Kmods1
- http://rpmfusion.org/Packaging/KernelModules/Kmods2

I've set the "buildforkernels" macros section of the spec file to:

#define buildforkernels newest
%define buildforkernels current
#define buildforkernels akmods

This make the new akmod package built for the current kernel. Once the
akmod package built, if I correctly understood the documentation, I have
to revert it to:

%define buildforkernels newest
#define buildforkernels current
#define buildforkernels akmods

This have to be kept until the next new upstream release of the wl-kmod
needs an new akmod package to be built.
In other words, if I understand correctly the documentation, maintaining
kmod/akmod package involves providing two versions of the spec file in
the beginning of the process: first one (buildforkernels = current) to
build also the akmod package with the kmods ones, and second one
(buildforkernels = newest) to build new kmods for new kernels when
necessary. Every time a new upstream version of the module will be
released, it is necessary to repeat the two steps described above.

Thanks for commenting this if I've misunderstood the documentation.

Cordially,

--
Nicolas Viéville